It’s hard to believe that Labor Day is this weekend. For many of us that means time to go back-to-school and the end of carefree summer days. If you’re planning to “send off” summer this weekend with a Labor Day gathering or party, try an appetizer-only or “small bites” food theme. It’s completely on trend, gives your guests a variety of options to nosh on, and the best thing is that a lot of the work can be done in advance so you can be in the moment and experience all the fun. It also makes clean-up a breeze at the end of the evening.
To help you savor the last days of summer, try these 5 wildly delicious small bite recipes:
- What’s not to love about meatballs? They’re an instant crowd pleaser and a classic party staple. These Turkey Meatballs with Wild Blueberry BBQ Sauce offer a new twist on an old favorite, and can be prepped ahead of time and warmed up right before you’re ready to serve. The Wild Blueberry BBQ sauce makes for an unexpected and delicious sweet and tangy dipping sauce.
- Tacos are all the rage these days – probably because they’re so easy to make, and the filling combinations are endless. Social media has helped drive this craze as foodie influencers took to Instagram and coined the phrase and hashtag #TacoTuesdays, making this delightful Mexican-themed meal a weekday must. This weekend, set up a taco bar for your guests and let them get creative. We love this Black Bean Taco with Wild Blueberry Sauce recipe from Danielle Omar of Food Confidence. The tasty Wild Blueberry sauce adds a sweet and zesty flavor while packing in plenty of antioxidant goodness.
- Pizza is always a family favorite and a dish that can be easily sliced into small tasting bites that both young and old alike will enjoy. Featuring the flavors of summer in every bite, this Wild Blueberry Tomato and Goat Cheese Naan Pizza recipe is a sweet and savory recipe that’s sure to impress. And don’t worry, if you can’t find naan, you can use pita bread or your favorite pre-cooked pizza crust instead.
Recipe and photo credit: Backyard Farms
- With the new season just around the corner, give your guests a taste of Fall with these Wild Blueberry Sweet Potato Stacks. Wild Blueberries complement the sweet potato perfectly in these amazing pop-it-into-your-mouth bites. You can’t go wrong with this one.
- Finally, an end of summer celebration is not complete without a few wildly tasty desserts. These easy no-bake Mini Wild Blueberry Cream Pies have been a fan favorite since our friend Danielle Omar of Food Confidence created them. If you’re more of a traditionalist, consider serving up this this classic Wild Blueberry Pie from Kara Lydon of the Foodie Dietitian. Create small individual pies or make a couple large pies and slice them up small and top with homemade whipped cream or your favorite vanilla ice cream.