Vegan Wild Blueberry Cashew Spread on Crostini with Fresh Basil
Recipe by Kathy Patalsky of HealthyHappyLife.com
1 ½ cups raw cashews
½ cup frozen Wild Blueberries, warmed to room temp
2 Tbsp coconut butter, melted (or sub with coconut oil if needed, but butter is a bit creamier)
¼ tsp pink salt or fleur de sel
1 loaf french bread or a gluten-free substitute, sliced into crostini rounds
1 bunch fresh basil or mint
¼ cup frozen Wild Blueberries
Extra virgin olive oil
Fleur de sel or pink salt
Optional: lemon or orange zest
1. The day before you plan to prepare the cream cheese spread, soak your raw cashews in warm water. Soak for at least eight hours for the silkiest spread. Cashews will process more smoothly the more soaked they are.
2. Drain your cashews and rinse well in warm water. Add the soaked cashews to a food processor or high-speed blender. Also add in the Wild Blueberries, coconut butter and salt. Process until smooth. The juices from the Wild Blueberries along with the soft melted coconut butter should be enough to process the cashews, but if your cashews are on the dry side or the blend isn’t coming together, add non-dairy milk in splashes until it blends clean. You want a rich, velvety spread.
3. Pour the cashew butter into a small bowl and fold 2 Tbsp of Wild Blueberries into the spread. Cover the bowl with foil or plastic wrap and place in the fridge to chill – at least an hour should do it.
4. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lay all your bread slices on a baking sheet, brush them with a tiny bit of extra virgin olive oil if desired, toast just until the edges are nice and crispy. Remove the bread from the oven and let cool for ten minutes.
5. Spread the chilled Wild Blueberry spread on the crostini. Garnish with a few Wild Blueberries, extra virgin olive oil, finely chopped basil or mint and a pinch of fleur de sel.. Enjoy!
Wild Blue is Good for You!