Wild Blueberry and Pomegranate Bruschetta
By Kara Lydon, RD, LDN, RYT, Blogger at The Foodie Dietitian.
Yield: approximately 24 servings.
1 French baguette, cut into ½ inch slices
1 ½ tablespoons olive oil
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon pepper
1 cup pomegranate aerials (seeds from 1 pomegranate)
2 teaspoons honey
1 tablespoon chopped mint leaves (about 8 mint leaves)
1 ½ teaspoon orange zest
1 cup plain Greek yogurt
½ cup goat cheese
1 cup frozen wild blueberries
Optional: Extra mint and orange zest for garnish
- In a small-medium mixing bowl, add pomegranate aerials, mint, orange zest, honey and stir to combine. Let sit in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour or until ready to use.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Lightly brush both sides of bread with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Transfer bread to two baking sheets and bake for 8-10 minutes, flipping slices over halfway through.
- In a medium mixing bowl, blend goat cheese and yogurt together using a hand mixer or transfer to a food processor and pulse until creamy and smooth.
- Remove pomegranate mixture from refrigerator and fold in wild blueberries.
- To assemble the baguettes, spread yogurt mixture on top of bread (approximately 1 tablespoon) and add a spoonful of fruit mixture over top (being careful to avoid juices at the bottom of the bowl). Serve immediately.
- Optional: Garnish with orange zest and mint.
Tip: Try a whole-grain baguette for an extra fiber and nutrition punch! No Greek yogurt but plenty of cream cheese on hand? You can easily substitute cream cheese for Greek yogurt here.
Wild Blue is Good for You!