Wild Blueberry Chocolate Chicken Mole
Yields 8 servings
½ lb. roma tomatoes
1 ea. onion, peeled and halved
6 ea. garlic cloves, unpeeled
1 ea corn tortilla
8 ea ancho chile
3 Tbsp. vegetable oil
¼ lb. peanuts roasted, unsalted
¼ lb. dried Wild Blueberries
1 ea. Mexican cinnamon, 2 inch piece
4 tbsp. white sesame seeds
1 tbsp cumin seeds
4 ea. black peppercorns
2 ea. cloves
1 tsp. Mexican oregano
2 cup chicken stock
¼ lb. semi sweet chocolate
8ea chicken thighs
to taste salt
to taste black pepper
½ cup cilantro leaves
¼ cup white sesame seeds, toasted
- Heat a cast iron pan and char the tomatoes, onion, and garlic. When the garlic and onion are charred in spots and the tomato is softened, remove. Peel the garlic.
- Discard the seeds, stems and veins of the chiles and roast them in the cast iron pan until slight whisps of smoke appear and they become softer.
- Transfer chiles to a bowl and cover with the hot chicken stock for 15 minutes, or until tender.
- Heat the corn tortilla until blackened slightly on both sides.
- Blend the chiles and tortilla with the 1 cup of the hot stock until smooth.
- Heat half of oil and sauté the peanuts, cinnamon, sesame seeds, black peppercorns, cloves, oregano for 2-3 minutes until aromatic.
- Add the garlic, tomatoes, onion and Wild Blueberries in a blender and process until smooth. Add stock if needed.
- Heat the remaining oil in a large pot and add the chile purée;
- Fry the puree until it dries out and the oil separates.
- Add the tomato mixture and cook for 10 minutes, stirring frequently. Reduce the heat to low and cook for 45 minutes to an hour or until the mixture is thick. Strain through a fine sieve.
- Add the remaining stock and half of the chocolate to the warm mole puree and stir until dissolved. Add salt to taste.
- Season the chicken and sear in a hot pan with a little oil until browned. Add the mole and braise the chicken until done, about 45 minutes. Add the rest of the chocolate and stir until melted.
- Garnish with sesame seeds and cilantro leaves.
Wild Blue is Good for You!