Wild Blueberry Cupcakes with Coffee Frosting
Recipe by Linda Tambunan, the force behind TheUrbanMrs.com,
1 stick unsalted butter, softened
1½ cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
¼ tsp salt
½ cup granulated sugar + 1 tsp sugar (in a separate bowl)
½ tbs finely grated lemon zest
2 large eggs
½ cup milk
1 cup fresh or frozen wild blueberries
½ tsp pure vanilla extract
1 teaspoon instant coffee granules
¼ cup milk
¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
6 tbs butter
1½ tsp vanilla extract
5 cups confectioners’ sugar
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Line cupcake tins with liners.
2. In a small pot over low-medium heat, place the blueberries and 1 tsp sugar. Cook until wilted.
3. Mix together flour. baking powder, lemon zest, and salt. Set aside.
4. In a mixer, beat the butter and sugar until pale, about 2 minutes. Add the eggs one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Add the flour mixture, and mix well.
5. Combine the milk, vanilla, and blueberries to the mixture until just combined.
6. Scoop batter into cupcake liners and bake until a toothpick inserted into center of cake comes out clean, about 10 to 15 minutes.
7. Allow cupcakes to cool in tins for 10 minutes, and then remove cupcakes and place them on a cooling rack. Add coffee frosting on top, if needed (these cupcakes are also great as plain).
8. For coffee frosting: Mix together; instant coffee or leftover coffee, milk, cocoa powder, butter or margarine, vanilla extract, and confectioners’ sugar until of spreading consistency.
Wild Blue is Good for You!