March not only marks National Nutrition Month but also Frozen Foods Month – and in our opinion, there’s no reason the two can’t go hand-in-hand. Frozen Wild Blueberries are just as nutritious as ordinary fresh blueberries – maybe even more so because they’re frozen within 24 hours of peak ripeness. This means that all of the wildly delicious taste and antioxidant goodness are frozen in time, ready for you to consume at your convenience.
Photo Credit: Kelly Roenicke of The Pretty Bee
To help explain how frozen is fresher, let’s walk through the process of delivery for ordinary, fresh blueberries versus frozen Wild Blueberries to a local grocery store in your area.
Delivering fresh, ordinary blueberries to your local grocer’s fresh produce section*.
- Day 1: Blueberries are picked off the high bushes before they’re ripe.
- Day 2: Blueberries are transported to a packing house.
- Days 3 to 4: Blueberries are packaged and readied for shipment to a distribution center.
- Day 5: Blueberries are transported to the distribution center.
- Days 6 to 7: Blueberries are readied for transport from distribution center.
- Day 8: Blueberries are transported to grocery stores around the United States.
- Days 9 to 14: Blueberries are received, processed, and displayed for purchase in the produce section of your local grocery store.
- Days 15 to 20: Blueberries are purchased and consumed at your home.
Now, let’s compare that to the delivery of frozen Wild Blueberries.
- Day 1 – Step 1: Wild Blueberries are harvested off low bushes at their peak of ripeness.
- Day 1 – Step 2: Wild Blueberries are flash-frozen and packed within 24 hours, locking in taste and nutrition.
- Day 2: The frozen packed Wild Blueberries are shipped to grocery stores around the United States. That’s it!
Check out our Frozen is Fresher infographic to learn more.
So, what are you waiting for? Celebrate Nutrition and Frozen Food Month by picking up some frozen Wild Blueberries at your local grocery store. Not sure how to incorporate these tiny, healthy berries in your diet? Add frozen Wild Blues to smoothies, on top of oatmeal, or simply stir some into yogurt. For inspiration, check out our wildly delicious recipe library here.
No matter how you enjoy, we hope you spend March with some frozen Wild Blueberry deliciousness on the menu.
*This is an estimate. Timelines will vary depending on shipping origin.