Carnitas Tacos with Wild Blueberry and Charred Corn Salsa
2 lbs pork shoulder
6 garlic cloves, peeled
1 onion, peeled and quartered
3 cups orange juice
1 Tbsp Cumin, ground
1 tsp Oregano, dry
2 Tbsp salt
1 cup frozen Wild Blueberries
1 ear corn, fresh, grilled, shucked
1 pint cherry tomatoes, quartered
4 green onions, thinly sliced
1/4 cup cilantro, minced
1 jalepeno pepper, seeded, minced
1/4 cup lime juice
1 Tbsp honey
1 tsp salt
12 corn tortillas, 6-inch
1/2 cup sour cream
6 lime wedges
- Preheat an oven to 325 degrees F.
- Season pork with cumin, oregano, salt and pepper and place into an oven proof dish.
- Add onion and garlic cloves, heat on the burner until the liquid boils, cover with foil and place into the oven. Cook for 3 hours or until meat is fork tender and most of the liquid has evaporated.
- Remove the foil and shred the meat. Mash the garlic and onion and mix with the meat, or remove if desired.
- Place the pan on the stove and cook on medium heat until the liquid has evaporated and the meat begins to fry in its own fat. Continue to fry the meat until light browned, stirring occasionally.
- For the salsa, combine all the ingredients in a bowl and adjust seasoning as desired.
- To serve, heat the tortillas on the burner over the flame or in a heated cast iron pan.
- Place ½ cup of meat into each tortilla and top with ¼ cup of salsa.
- Garnish with sour cream and lime wedges
Wild Blue is Good for You!