Cheese Toasts with Savory Wild Blueberry Sauce
- 1 large shallot, diced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon seeded and minced jalapeno pepper
- 1 cup frozen Wild Blueberries
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 4 slices of bread, sliced diagonally
- 4 teaspoons butter
- 4 lettuce leaves
- 2 slices aged swiss cheese, cut diagonally
- 8 slices round goat cheese, about 4 ounces
- 1 small handful alfalfa sprouts
Sauce: In non-stick pan, sauté shallot in olive oil until translucent, about 3 minutes. Stir in jalapeno, Wild Blueberries, balsamic vinegar, orange and lemon juice. Let simmer while stirring for about 3 minutes. Turn up heat and reduce until liquid reaches a syrup-like consistency.
Toasts: Lightly toast slices of bread. Spread toasts with butter as desired, cover with lettuce leaf and cheese. Add a dollop of Wild Blueberry sauce and garnish with sprouts. Preparation time: approximately 20 minutes. Serves 4.
310 calories, 15g fat, 380mg sodium, 31g carbohydrates, 3g fiber, 13g protein, 40mg cholesterol
Wild Blue is Good for You!