Gluten Free Orange Pancakes
Makes 12 servings
Ingredients for the Wild Blueberry-Orange Sauce
• 1/2 cup frozen wild blueberries (I used the brand Wyman’s from my local Giant supermarket)
• 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed orange juice
• 1/2 teaspoon orange zest
• 1 teaspoon granulated sugar (or honey would work – but I only had cinnamon flavored honey on hand)
Ingredients for the Orange Pancakes
• 1/4 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
• 1/4 cup milk (I used skim but really any milk option would be fine!)
• 1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons gluten free flour* (I kept it simple and used a pre-made flour blend – Bob’s Red Mill)
• 1 tablespoon granulated sugar (honey would work fine here as well)
• 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
• 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
• 1/4 teaspoon salt
• 1 egg
• 1/2 teaspoon orange zest
• 1 tablespoon melted butter or margarine
Directions for the Wild Blueberry-Orange Sauce
1. In a small sauce pan, combine all ingredients and place on low heat while you prepare the pancakes.
2. Stir occasionally as you are making the pancakes.
3. Smash the wild blueberries to your desired consistency. Just depends on how many intact berries vs. sauciness you’d like!
4. Pour finished Wild Blueberry-Orange Sauce over pancakes while warm.
5. Enjoy and devour!
Directions for the Orange Pancakes
1. In a medium mixing bowl, combine all dry ingredients – then add in the wet. I should note I only needed one orange for the fresh juice and zest for both the pancakes and sauce. (Plus there were a few juice sips left over for me to enjoy!)
2. Whisk everything together until well combined. Your batter will be thin. That is okay!
3. Grab your griddle or electric skillet (grease or spray with cooking spray if your pan isn’t non-
stick) and preheat on medium heat. Make sure the pan is good and hot before you begin scooping your batter.
4. Using a 1/4 cup scoop, pour batter (but not the whole scoopful – use your judgement!) into pancakes shapes on the griddle. This batter is thin and should be – so a lot of batter is not needed for each pancake.
5. Wait until pancake bubbles before flipping. Flip and cook the other side. Continue process until all batter has been made!
6. Pour the Wild Blueberry-Orange Sauce over the pancakes while warm!
7. Enjoy and devour (and then make another batch!)
Pancake recipe makes 12-15 thin pancakes, depending on size. Wild blueberry-orange sauce makes the perfect amount for your 1-2 pancakes servings, with a little left over for you to enjoy later (over some ice cream perhaps?) There really are many options that this sauce would taste delicious on!
*Not gluten free? Just sub in regular all-purpose flour and you should have success!
Wild Blue is Good for You!