Lemon Wild Blueberry Scones
These scones are bright, flavorful, and crisp around the edges, but nice and fluffy in the middle. Not a coconut fan? Don’t worry, you can’t taste the coconut oil!
Makes 8-10 scones
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour, plus more for dusting
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons sugar, plus more for sprinkling
- 4 tablespoons coconut oil, frozen
- zest of one lemon
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 2/3 cup milk, plus more for brushing
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup frozen Wild Blueberries
- Heat oven to 425 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicon baking mat.
- Combine whole wheat pastry flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar in a large bowl.
- Add the coconut oil and cut with a fork until the oil is in pea-sized pieces.
- In a separate bowl, combine the lemon zest, Greek yogurt, milk, and vanilla.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir until combined.
- Stir in the frozen Wild Blueberries, then pat the dough out onto a floured surface into a 1/2 inch thick circle.
- Cut the dough into 8 wedges or cut with cookie cutters. Place the scones on the prepared baking sheet, brush with a small amount of milk, and sprinkle lightly with sugar.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes, until the edges of the scones are browned and the centers spring back when touched.
Recipe by Anne Mauney of fANNEtastic Food
Wild Blue is Good for You!