Mix-in-the-Pan Wild Blueberry Snack Cake
Recipe by Katie Sullivan Morford, MS, RD of Mom’s Kitchen Handbook
Serves: 12 pieces (16 pieces for smaller appetites)
1 1/4 cup whole-wheat pastry flour
Zest of 1 lemon
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
½ cup pure maple syrup
1/3 cup olive oil
1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup frozen Wild Blueberries (not defrosted)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- Put the flour, lemon zest, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, and salt into an 8-inch square baking pan. Use a fork to thoroughly mix the ingredients together.
- Use your hands to make a hole in the center of the dry ingredients. Into the hole, crack the egg and add the maple syrup, olive oil, yogurt, and vanilla. Use a fork to mix the ingredients together until smooth and blended, being sure to get all the bits of flour in the corners of the pan.
- Add the Wild Blueberries and mix them a few times into the batter so they are evenly distributed, and the cake has a marbled effect.
- Bake until the cake is fairly firm when you press lightly at its center and a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean, about 38 minutes.
- Remove from oven and leave on the counter to cool for at least 15 minutes. Cut into squares and use a small spatula to lift the pieces from the pan.
Wild Blue is Good for You!