Naturally-Colored Wild Blueberry Buttercream FrostingPrint Recipe
1 cup frozen Wild Blueberries
1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
½ cup butter (1 stick) softened
3 tablespoons organic shortening (such as Spectrum)
4 cups sifted powdered sugar
1 pinch salt
- Measure out frozen Wild Blueberries and allow them to thaw for 15 minutes.
- Add frozen Wild Blueberries and lemon juice to a blender and pulse a few times to slightly mash the berries.
- Transfer mixture to a small saucepan and cook on medium-low heat for about 10 minutes, stirring frequently, or until mixture thickens.
- Set aside to cool.
- Place butter and shortening in the bowl of a standing mixer and beat on low to combine.
- Add sifted powdered sugar (sift then measure) and salt and mix.
- While the mixer is running, add Wild Blueberry mash one tablespoon at a time until you achieve the right consistency for frosting (you’ll probably use about 3 tablespoons).
- Beat until all the sugar is well blended.
- Keep leftover frosting in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to three days.
Generously frosts 12 cupcakes (or more conservatively frosts 24).