Smoked Duck Breast with Wild Blueberry Mostarda
Yield: 6 portions
3 ea duck breasts, skin on (8oz ea)
1 cup Kosher salt
¼ cup sugar
6 ea juniper berries, crushed
1 cup wood chips
For the Mostarda
1 cup pears
1 cup water
¼ cup red wine, dry
¼ cup rugar
1 cup dried Wild Blueberries
¼ cup white wine
¼ cup honey
1 Tbsp. dry mustard
2 tsp. mustard seeds, toasted lightly
to taste Kosher salt and ground black pepper
- Mix salt, sugar, and spices together and coat the duck. Refrigerate overnight.
- Rinse duck and pat dry.
- Soak wood chips for 1 hour.
- Place foil on the bottom of a cast iron pan and place wood chips over the foil. Turn the burner on high and wait until wood chips light on fire.
- Place duck breasts on a wire rack over the wood chips and cover with foil.
- Turn flame down and smoke for 12-15 minutes on low until duck reached internal temperature of 130 degrees. Remove and chill.
- For the mostarda, place all ingredients in a pot and bring to a simmer. Simmer for 20 minutes. Cool and puree ½ the mixture and combine with the unpureed half.
- Serve sliced duck breast with mostarda.
Wild Blue is Good for You!