1/4 cup all-purpose gluten-free flour or all-purpose flour (see note below)
3 tablespoons sugar
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice or ground cinnamon
Scant 1/8 teaspoon salt (or a big pinch)
3 tablespoons pumpkin puree
2 tablespoons rice bran, grapeseed or your baking oil of choice
1½ tablespoons unsweetened dairy-free milk beverage
1/8 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 tablespoons frozen Wild Blueberries
Flour Note: You can use your favorite gluten-free flour blend in this recipe (store-bought or homemade), but do not simply swap in coconut flour or almond flour. I tested with Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free 1-to-1 Baking Flour. I recommend using a pre-made flour blend since measuring such small quantities of flours and starches for a mug cake can be tedious!
- In a small bowl, stir together the flour, sugar, baking powder, spice, vanilla and salt.
- Add the pumpkin, oil, milk beverage and vanilla and stir to combine.
- Very gently fold in the frozen Wild Blueberries. Keep them frozen to avoid “bleeding” of the brilliant blue.
- Pour into a greased, microwave-safe mug, and level out.
- Microwave the cake on HIGH for 1½ to 2 minutes, or until it appears cooked, and a toothpick inserted comes out clean. The time may vary based on your microwave; in my kitchen, it is perfect at 2 minutes.
Oven Option: Spoon the batter into a small ramekin. Bake at 350ºF for about 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.