1 lb lean ground chicken breast
1/4 cup frozen wild blueberries
1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese (regular, light, or fat free)
1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
pinch of salt
For serving (optional): whole wheat hamburger buns, sliced red onion and tomato, lettuce, balsamic glaze*
- Combine all burger ingredients (ground chicken through salt) in a medium bowl. Using your hands, mix very gently until the ingredients are evenly distributed, being careful not to overmix.
- Divide the mixture into 4 patties and press into a disk about 3/4-inch thick.
- Heat a grill pan, saute pan, or grill over medium-high heat. Spray lightly with cooking spray. Cook the burgers for 4-6 minutes on each side, until a thermometer inserted into the center of the burger reaches 165 degrees F.
- Serve however you’d like – in a lettuce wrap, on a burger bun, or enjoy them as is!
- For the glaze, we used a bottle of balsamic glaze from the grocery store, right next to all the other vinegars. If you wanted to create your own, cook balsamic vinegar in a pan over medium heat until it is thickened and syrupy (about 10-15 minutes). We drizzled about 1/2 teaspoon on each burger for a little extra sweet/sour flavor.
- Keep the wild blueberries frozen when mixing into the burger patties, no need to thaw. Thawed blueberries added to the mixture will turn the patties blue.
- We cooked these indoors on a grill pan and it worked perfectly! A saute pan or outdoor grill should work just as well 🙂
Nutrition information per serving (1 burger with balsamic glaze and lettuce wrap): 154 calories, 2 g fat, 1 g saturated fat, 5 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g sugar, 27 g protein, 111 mg sodium,
Nutrition information per serving (1 burger with balsamic glaze and bun): 261 calories, 4 g fat, 1 g saturated fat, 26 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 4 g sugar, 28 g protein, 278 mg sodium