Wild Blueberry-Filled Dessert Gnocchi
Courtesy of Susan Magrini
Makes 4 servings
1 brick fat-free cream cheese, room temperature
1 1/2 cups AP flour
1/4 cup Natural Sugar substitute
1 large egg
Pinch of salt
1/2 cup wild blueberry jam (recipe follows)
1 cup plain bread crumbs
1/3 cup granulated sugar
2 teaspoons cinnamon.
6 tablespoons unsalted butter
Wild Blueberry Jam
1 cup frozen wild blueberries
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup water
Pinch of cinnamon
Pinch of salt
- In the bowl of a stand mixer or a food processor, blend the ingredients until the mixture comes together. You need it to be slightly sticky. Remove and place on a work surface. Cover with wrap and let it rest for 30 minutes.
- Roll the dough into a log and cut that log lengthwise into 2 logs. Cut each log into 8 pieces for a total of 16.
- Flatten one piece of dough into a 3″ circle in the palm of your hand.
- Spoon a teaspoon of jam into the center of the circle and pinch the seams together, rolling and patting the dough into an oblong ball. Pinch together any tears and gently tap the tops flat. Transfer the gnocchi to a plate dusted with flour. Can be frozen up to this point.
- Bring a large stockpot of water to a gentle boil and place half of the gnocchi into the water, stir and simmer until they rise to the top. make sure the whole gnocchi has risen, not just one end.
- Remove the cooked gnocchi to a sheet pan using a slotted spoon and gently pat the top to dry. Repeat until they are all cooked.
- In a skillet, melt 2 tablespoons of the butter and saute the bread crumbs until they start to color. Remove to a bowl and add the sugar and cinnamon. Set aside.
- Right before serving, melt the last of the butter in a skillet and saute each gnocchi on both sides and then add them to the breadcrumbs, toss to coat.
Wild Blue is Good for You!