Wild Blueberry Oat Muffins
- 1 cup old fashioned oatmeal
- 1 cup skim milk
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon grated orange rind
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup walnuts, chopped-optional
- 1 1/2 cup frozen Wild Blueberries
- 3 tablespoons powdered sugar
Mix oats and milk in a bowl and soak for 10 minutes. Add egg, sugar, oil, grated orange rind and stir until well blended.
In a second bowl, combine flours, baking powder, baking soda and walnuts. Mix well and fold into oatmeal mixture until just moistened. Do not over mix. Gently fold in 1 cup frozen Wild Blueberries. Reserve remaining berries.
Preheat oven to 425°F. Butter (or place paper holders in) muffin pan and divide batter among muffin cups. Sprinkle a few Wild Blueberries on top of each muffin. Bake for 20 minutes. Remove muffins from tin and cool on wire rack. Sprinkle with powdered sugar. Preparation time: Approximately 60 minutes, plus time to cool. Yields 12 muffins.
220 calories, 10g fat, 105mg sodium, 29g carbohydrates, 3g fiber, 5g protein, 15mg cholesterol
Wild Blue is Good for You!