Wild Blueberry Polenta with Grilled Onions and Sausage
Prep Time: 7 minutes Cook Time: 21 minutes Total Time: 28 minutes
Courtesy of Mireya Merritt
My Healthy Eating Habits (myhealthyeatinghabits.com)
For the Onions:
- 1-1/2 large onions, cut in half and thinly sliced will be about 4 cups
- 1-1/2 tablespoons olive oil
For the Polenta:
- 4 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal (I use Albers)
- 1-3/4 cups frozen wild blueberries
For the Sausage:
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 4 sausage (I use Aidell’s Chicken and Apple, or Italian Style)
- Sauté the onions in 1-1/2 tablespoons olive oil until they are lightly caramelized. about 25 minutes.
- 15 minutes before the onions are ready, heat the water in a 4-quart saucepan until it comes to a boil. Add the salt and slowly whisk in the cornmeal. Stir frequently until the polenta thickens up and the texture is smooth. Carefully stir in the frozen blueberries trying not to break them. Cook one minute and then turn off the heat, cover the pot and allow the polenta to rest 1 to 2 minutes.
- Place a large spoonful of wild blueberry polenta on a plate, top with the grilled onions, and then place one sausage, sliced or whole, on top of the onions.
Serve with sliced oranges, or a garden salad.
Wild Blue is Good for You!