Wild Blueberry Sweet and Savory Stuffing
Recipe by Tara Rochford of Treble in the Kitchen
3 tbsp coconut oil
1 1/2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
4 carrots, chopped
3 parsnips, peeled and chopped
1/2 cup chives, finely chopped
1 lb kabocha squash, cubed
1 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp nutmeg
2 cups frozen Wild Blueberries
6 cups sourdough or gluten free bread*, cubed
1 cup vegetable stock
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Grease a 13 by 9 by 2 inch glass or ceramic baking dish with 1 tsp (or spray) of the coconut oil.
- Grease a 15 by 12 inch piece of foil with Olive oil spray. Set aside.
- In a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, melt 1 tablespoon of the coconut oil and 1/2 tablespoon of the olive oil.
- Add the carrots, parsnips, chives, kobocha squash, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Cook stirring frequently, until the vegetables start to soften and brown, about 15 minutes.
- Add the remaining tablespoon of olive oil, the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper, the thyme, and nutmeg.
- Cook for 5 minutes.
- Remove the skillet from the heat and cool slightly.
- In a large bowl, toss together the bread cubes and eggs until coated.
- Add the vegetable mixture and toss to coat with the wild blueberries.
- Place the mixture in the prepared baking dish and dollop the remaining coconut oil on top.
- Pour the vegetable stock over the top and cover the baking dish with foil, oil side down.
- Bake for 40 minutes.
- Remove the foil and continue to bake until the top is slightly crisp and brown in spots, 20 to 25 minutes longer.
- Let the stuffing rest 10 to 15 minutes.
Wild Blue is Good for You!