Wild Blueberry & Wild Mushroom RisottoPrint Recipe
Recipe by Danielle Omar MS, RDN of Food Confidence
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 yellow onion, finely chopped
1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
1/2 cup frozen Wild Blueberries, thawed and rinsed*
2 1/2 cups thinly sliced assorted wild mushrooms (cremini, shiitake, oyster, and chanterelle mushrooms)
1 cup arborio rice
1/2 cup white wine
4 cups vegetable broth
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
Sea salt and pepper, to taste
chives and additional parmesan cheese for garnishing, optional
- In the bottom of a large sauté pan or dutch oven, heat olive oil over medium heat.
- Add the onion, mushrooms, and thyme, and cook 5-7 minutes, until the onions are translucent and the mushrooms have shrunk.
- Add the arborio rice and stir to coat each grain of rice in oil.
- Adjust the heat to medium-low and add the white wine. Cook, stirring occasionally until all the liquid is evaporated.
- Add 1 cup of vegetable broth and cook, stirring occasionally, until all the liquid is evaporated (this should take about 4-5 minutes). Repeat this process with the remaining vegetable broth, adding one cup of broth at a time and letting the liquid evaporate before adding more broth. After adding the last cup of broth, the mixture should be thick and creamy, and the rice should be fully cooked.
- Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the parmesan, thawed frozen Wild Blueberries, and salt & pepper to taste.
- Serve topped with chives and more grated parmesan, if desired.
Note: Rinsing the Wild Blueberries in a strainer until the water runs clear prevents your risotto from turning blue when you stir them in.