Wild Products: FIORE Maine Wild Blueberry Reserve Balsamic Vinegar
The Wild Blueberry team is always on the lookout for delicious new products that feature our beloved berry. Because more and more products are being made with Wild Blueberries, we want to share our fabulous finds with you.
First on the share list is FIORE Artisan Olive Oils & Vinegars’ Maine Wild Blueberry Reserve Balsamic Vinegar. It’s made from a unique blend of Wild Blueberries from Maine and aged balsamic vinegar from Modena, Italy. Interesting combo – right? Oh-so-delicious – sweet and tangy!
FIORE is a Maine-based company and its name means “the blossoming flower” in Italian. The company opened its doors with its first year-round location in Bar Harbor in July 2009, creating a unique place for chefs, home cooks and foodie lovers – a tasting room for extra virgin olive oils (EVOO) and aged balsamic vinegars. Today, FIORE has grown to have three additional freestanding tasting rooms in Maine, including Rockland, Freeport, and Brunswick, and tasting bars at The Vault in Lewiston and Tiller & Rye in Brewer. Additionally, there are 15 authorized resellers in the Northeast in which FIORE has a selection of pre-bottled product for sale:
- Acadia Provisions, Ellsworth
- Aroostook Beef Company, Fort Kent
- Cellardoor Winery at the Point, Thompson’s Point/Portland
- Cellardoor Winery, Lincolnville
- Dot’s, Lincolnville Beach
- Fork & Spoon, Bangor
- Island Spirits, Vinalhaven
- Jess’s Market, Rockland
- Maine Bay & Berry Co., State College, Penn.
- Mixed Up Kitchen, Farmington
- North Haven Grocery, North Haven
- Pietree Orchard, Sweden
- Riverside Butcher Co., Damariscotta
- The Country Co-op & Farm Store, Houlton
- Wiggin’s Meat Market – Butcher, Rockland
FIORE imports its EVOO from all over the world and to ensure ultimate freshness, their team chases the crush, showcasing the highest quality cultivars from regions growing, harvesting and crushing olives each season. From Italy to Greece, Tunisia to Portugal, Spain and California in the northern hemisphere then from Chile and Peru to Australia and South Africa in the southern hemisphere, to FIORE’s tasting rooms stores within six weeks of when the olives are picked. Plus, the freshness of the first-crush EVOO in its stores enable consumers to benefit from the numerous attributes of health first-hand – rich in polyphenols, antioxidants that promote health and fight disease.
We recently stopped by the store in Brunswick, Maine. What an incredible experience. If you get the chance you should visit a tasting location. After our amazing tasting experience, we reached out for some recipes featuring their Maine Wild Blueberry Reserve Balsamic Vinegar. Check out these two amazing recipes that will add a little WILD to your breakfast and happy hour.
- 1/2 cup FIORE Blood Orange Olive Oil
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 tsp FIORE Maine Wild Blueberry Reserve Balsamic
- 2 cups of thick cut oats
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- 1/2 cup whole unsalted peanuts
- 1/2 cup cashews or nut of choice
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Combine FIORE Blood Orange Olive Oil & honey in a bowl and microwave for one (1) minute, then stir. Add vanilla, cinnamon, and FIORE Maine Wild Blueberry Reserve Balsamic to the oil and honey mixture. Stir and put aside.
- In a separate bowl, mix oats, nuts, coconut, and raisins. Add the oil and the balsamic mixture from the first bowl and mix until dry ingredients are coated.
- Lastly, spread the combined mixture onto a baking sheet covered in parchment paper.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from oven and allow granola to cool. Once it has reached the desired temperature, remove from baking sheet and enjoy! Store leftover granola in an airtight container or bag.
- 1 cup brandy
- 2 bottles strong Spanish red wine, chilled
- 2 TBS sugar
- 1 cup FIORE Maine Wild Blueberry Balsamic
- 2 cups fruit: lemons, limes, oranges, and frozen Wild Blueberries
- 2-gallon jar or pitcher
- Cut citrus into slices or chunks and put into the container with all the ingredients except the red wine.
- Let stand for 2 hours then add chilled wine, mix and serve.