Wild Blueberry Walnut Bran Muffins
- 1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour (can substitute half whole wheat flour for slightly denser and healthier muffins)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 cup fat-free milk
- 2 cups bran cereal (such as All-Bran)
- 1 large egg or 2 whites
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil (such as Canola oil)
- 3 cups Wild Blueberries
- 1 1/2 cups walnuts
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar (optional)
In large bowl, combine bran cereal and milk. Let stand about 5 minutes or until softened. Sift together flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Set aside. Add egg and oil to softened cereal mixture and mix thoroughly. Add flour mixture, stirring only until just combined. Do not beat. Fold in walnuts. Gently fold in Wild Blueberries. Portion evenly in 12, 2 1/2″ muffin tins coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle each uncooked muffin with 1/2 teaspoon of brown sugar, if desired. Bake in preheated 375°F oven 25 to 30 minutes. If frozen berries are used, add 5 to 10 minutes to cooking time. Yields approximately 12 muffins.
280 calories, 16g fat, 1.5g saturated fat, 0trans fat, 20mg cholesterol, 190mg sodium, 36g carbohydrate, 6g fiber, 6g protein, 45% calories from fat
Wild Blue is Good for You!